Red Bull has squashed any rumours that it could drop Sergio Perez amid his difficult run of form in Formula 1.
Perez started the year in strong fashion, winning two out of the opening four races.
The Mexican driver was being discussed as a championship contender but across the following rounds, he struggled for form while team-mate Max Verstappen dominated at the head of the field.
Perez has failed to score a podium result at the last three rounds despite Red Bull’s rapid pace, and has also failed to advance past Q2 on Saturday on each occasion.
However, team boss Christian Horner defended Perez and asserts the Milton Keynes-based squad will offer him support.
“I mean, he’s second in the World Championship at the moment, he’s the only other driver to have won races – two races – other than Max this year,” he said.
“So we need to support him through this period and I’m sure he’ll find his form again soon.”
Perez is currently under contract until the end of the 2024 campaign.
And amid question marks regarding his future, team advisor Dr Helmut Marko says there is no reason for Red Bull to replace Perez in the near future.
“We take luxury problems seriously,” Marko told F1 Insider.
“As far as Perez is concerned, so far, he has done the job we expect of him. He should help secure victory in the Constructors’ Championship and the current points score proves him right.
“He’s also proven that he can win races when he’s at his best.
“The question of whether he’s good enough doesn’t arise for us because Max is getting better and better, and the question you have to ask is rather a different one: Who would be the alternative?
“Is there anyone who could really challenge Max at the moment? I honestly don’t see anyone there.”