AlphaTauri racers Pierre Gasly and Daniil Kvyat have expressed sadness and surprise at Honda’s decision to exit Formula 1 at the end of the 2021 season.
Honda announced on Friday that it in conjunction with the realignment of its long-term company ambitions it will be leaving Formula 1 after next season.
Gasly joined Toro Rosso full-time for the 2018 season, just as it linked up with Honda, and spent a year competing for the Honda-affiliated Team Mugen in the Japan-based Super Formula championship in 2017.
“I have to admit I’m sad that Honda is leaving Formula 1 after the experiences we shared together over the past four years,” said Gasly.
“The people at Honda have played an important role in my career and I have always loved working with them.
“But we will still be together until the end of next year and I hope we can try and fight for more wins together before then, and that Honda will be in a position to fight for the championship title.”
Kvyat has spent the last two years competing with Honda-powered cars after returning to Formula 1 with Toro Rosso prior to the 2019 campaign.
“I was surprised to hear the news that Honda will leave Formula 1 at the end of next year,” said Kvyat.
“It is sad on a human level as I enjoy working with their engineers, and disappointing from a racing point of view because they have worked so hard to give us the best possible power unit and we have seen it deliver some excellent results so far.
“The Honda guys at the track are really committed and I’m sure they will continue to push while they are still in the sport.”