Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer has affirmed that Sergio Perez was constantly kept up-to-date in regard to his future at the team.
Earlier this week, Perez announced that he would be leaving Racing Point at the end of the 2020 season, which was soon followed by confirmation that Sebastian Vettel would replace him.
Vettel has been linked with the Silverstone-based squad, which will become Aston Martin Martin next year, for many months. However Perez asserted that “nobody told me anything” about the situation.
Speaking to Sky Sports F1, Szafnauer responded to Perez’s comment, insisting that Perez’s agent was consistently informed of the unfolding situation.
“He did have an inkling and he did know, we kept his manager Julian informed of the process all the way through,” he said.
“But like I said, it wasn’t a clear decision and that’s credit to him because he did such a great job for us. He was kept aware of what was going on.
“What he didn’t know, because the decision wasn’t made, what the definitive action was going to be. That’s what he learned on Wednesday.”
Szafnauer admits that it wasn’t easy for Racing Point to part ways with Perez, which will bring an end to their seven years together.
“It wasn’t easy, Sergio served us well, he’s a great racer, he’s a quick driver,” Szafnauer commented.
“He’s a safe pair of hands on a Sunday, especially as he doesn’t make many mistakes and bring the points in.
”It wasn’t that easy and that’s a compliment to Sergio, for us to deliberate for so long, whether to take a four-time world champion with all the experience Sebastian brings or stay with Sergio.
“Ultimately, with Aston Martin coming in, it’s the right decision to get the experience that Sebastian brings with him, the experience of a top team, that’s where Aston Martin aspires to be. I think we did the right thing.”