F1 vows to address Miami concerns as mayor's veto upheld
Formula 1 has vowed to address community concerns in Miami in the wake of a County Commission vote on Tuesday that went in its favour.
Formula 1 owners Liberty Media have been striving to launch a Miami Grand Prix, with the proposals having been altered after original plans for a 2019 round in the Biscayne Bay district were scrapped.
New proposals centred around a circuit planned for the Hard Rock Stadium area of Miami, with an agreement of intent signed to bring Formula 1 to the city for 2021.
The mayor of Miami-Dade county, Carlos Gimenez, used his veto earlier this month to overturn opposition to the event, and on Tuesday the County Commissioners sided 7-5 in his favour.
“We need more time to work out a compromise with the Miami Dolphins, the Miami Gardens community, and racing fans that’s a win-win for everyone to bring Formula 1 to our county,” said Gimenez.
“That’s why I’m happy that the Miami-Dade BCC [Board of County Commissioners] sustained my veto. This allows us to work towards a solution.
“The Formula 1 race isn’t until 2021. Sustaining my veto buys three to six months so that the parties involved can continue to work towards a solution for Miami Gardens, Stephen Ross [Miami Dolphins majority owner] and the Miami Dolphins, as well as racing fans.
“Let me be clear, if the veto had been overridden today then the resolution that says street racing is prohibited as currently configured in Miami Gardens would have been upheld.
“I support all parties coming to a solution that brings Formula 1 racing to Miami-Dade.
“Formula 1 is a huge international event. Like the Super Bowl, it puts Miami-Dade on the world stage.
“We need to continue to study the issues raised and get the correct information, instead of just killing this idea outright
“I’ve had three meetings so far with Miami Gardens residents about Formula 1.
“I’ve met with Commissioner Jordan, as well as Miami Dolphins and racing executives. It was productive. Dolphins agreed to respond within two weeks on community concerns and how to mitigate potential issues.”
Formula 1 issued a statement in response welcoming Tuesday’s development.
“Along with Miami Dolphins, we are encouraged the County Commission sustained the Mayor’s Veto,” the championship said.
“As Miami Dolphins has done for all its events at Hard Rock Stadium, and as we have done in every city that hosts a race, we will continue to work with the Mayor and the community to make a Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix a huge success for all of Miami-Dade County; including the residents of Miami Gardens.
“We will work very hard to address community concerns in a meaningful way, mitigate any inconveniences or disruptions to local residents, and create an event we can all be proud of.”