Christian Horner: Nothing to add to 'speculative' Alexander Albon rumours
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has said he has "nothing to add" to the rumours that Alexander Albon will fill the vacant seat at Toro Rosso alongside the already confirmed Daniil Kvyat.
Albon is favourite for the seat, despite having already signed a three-year agreement with Nissan e.dams to race in Formula E. However it's believed Red Bull is negotiating with Nissan to release the Thai driver from that deal.
Albon was due to test for the Japanese marque earlier this week, but Sebastien Buemi took over his duties, whilst on Friday it was announced that Oliver Rowland would fill in for the 22-year-old, who had again been pencilled in to test the new Gen2 car.
That has led to speculation that a deal with Red Bull and Toro Rosso has been done and will soon be announced, however when asked by Sky Sports about the seat, Horner said nothing had been agreed.
"Look, there’s nothing fixed. There are obviously lots of rumours at the moment. A lot of speculation that inevitably surfaces around that seat but from a Red Bull Racing point of view, we take a keen interest in young talents and it’s great to see young talent continue to get that opportunity through a lot of Formulas.
"He [Albon] is a driver that has been on the Red Bull programme previously, he’s a talented driver. That’s what we’re all about. It’s not about nationalities but about the ability to deliver under pressure at this level so nothing really that I can add to that at the moment.
Albon was previously backed by Red Bull before being dropped, however he has impressed in Formula 2 this season and currently holds second place in the standings and is one of only a small handful of viable candidates for the second STR seat.