Motorsport Week
  • Formula 1
    • 2025 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Formula 1
    • 2025 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Motorsport Week
Home Single Seater Formula 1

Mazepin ‘very disappointed’ over how F1 sack was handled

by Fergal Walsh
3 years ago
A A
Mazepin ‘very disappointed’ over how F1 sack was handled
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Nikita Mazepin says he is “very disappointed” over how his Formula 1 axe was executed last week.

Haas recently announced that it had parted ways with title sponsor Uralkali and Mazepin ahead of the 2022 season following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Mazepin joined Haas at the start of the 2021 season but endured a difficult rookie season, competing at the rear of the field.

He was present at pre-season testing in Barcelona two weeks ago, and drove the car at the final day of running when Haas opted to distance itself from all Uralkali branding.

RelatedPosts

Kimi Antonelli has responded to the claims from Helmut Marko that driving for Mercedes in his debut F1 season has created too much pressure

Kimi Antonelli responds to Helmut Marko’s Mercedes jibe over rookie F1 struggles

32 minutes ago
Lando Norris fastest as F1 returns at Zandvoort

Lando Norris fastest as F1 returns at Zandvoort

1 hour ago

While the FIA asserted that drivers from Russia would be allowed to compete under a neutral flag, Haas opted to part ways with Uralkali, which is owned by Mazepin’s father Dmitry.

Speaking about his sacking, Mazepin says a lack of communication between himself and the team meant that he found out he had lost his seat at the same time the press release was made public.

“I was very disappointed at the way it was handled, I have been worried about my future ever since I left Barcelona,” Mazepin said. 

“I have been told if the FIA or the governing body allows me to compete on their rules, and I agree to them, there will be no action to remove me from the seat because there is no legal obligation or reason.

“In my previous relations with Gunther, which I rated a very good one and I respected him as a man, very much so, I have been used to believe 101% in his words, he is a Team Principal and if he says something it normally, always, happens. 

“But I have not heard any information from the team ever since this happened and I learned about the firing of me the same time as it had been released to the press. 

“Like I say, I like to think I’m a young man at 23, I was not ready for it.

“I didn’t receive any hint or any support to say this is the decision we’ve taken, it’ll go live in 15 minutes, just be ready for it. I had messages from people and learned at the same time as you guys did.”

Uralkali released its own statement on Wednesday, saying it was seeking reimbursement for the sponsorship money paid to Haas for the 2022 campaign.

Mazepin confirmed that the leftover funds that were yet to be paid are being used to establish an athlete support foundation called ‘WeCompeteAsOne’, which caters towards athletes who have “been blocked from competing for political reasons”.

The 23-year-old stated that he has no intentions of having future relations with Haas as he doesn’t “want to go back to a place which doesn’t want me”, insisting he felt he should’ve had stronger support from the American-owned outfit.

“In regards to the support from the team, I do feel like I should have had more,” he said. 

“There has been no legal reason that could enable the team to terminate my contract, on legal terms.

“I have explained that I have been very relieved to see that the FIA has allowed athletes to compete on a neutral status, and I was hoping, and to be honest the hope was feeling close, that I would be able to compete.

“But obviously, 5th March at 11.45 Moscow time things really changed and I lost my dream that I was working towards for 18 years of my life.”

Tags: F1HaasMazepinUralkali
Share201Tweet126Share

Related Posts

Kimi Antonelli has responded to the claims from Helmut Marko that driving for Mercedes in his debut F1 season has created too much pressure
Formula 1

Kimi Antonelli responds to Helmut Marko’s Mercedes jibe over rookie F1 struggles

32 minutes ago
Lando Norris fastest as F1 returns at Zandvoort
Formula 1

Lando Norris fastest as F1 returns at Zandvoort

1 hour ago
F1 returns from the summer break with the opening practice session for the Dutch GP
Formula 1

F1 2025 Dutch Grand Prix – FP1 Results

1 hour ago
Load More

Discussion about this post

Upcoming Races

#EventDate
15Dutch GP29-31 August
16Italian GP05-07 September
17Azerbaijan GP19-21 September
18Singapore GP03-05 October
19United States GP17-19 October

Click here for the full 2025 F1 calendar

Drivers’  Standings

#DriverPts
Oscar Piastri284
Lando Norris275
Max Verstappen187
George Russell172
Charles Leclerc151
Lewis Hamilton109
Andrea Kimi Antonelli64
Alexander Albon54
Nico Hulkenberg37
Esteban Ocon27

Click here for full Drivers’ Standings

Latest Articles

Kimi Antonelli has responded to the claims from Helmut Marko that driving for Mercedes in his debut F1 season has created too much pressure
Formula 1

Kimi Antonelli responds to Helmut Marko’s Mercedes jibe over rookie F1 struggles

August 29, 2025
Lando Norris fastest as F1 returns at Zandvoort
Formula 1

Lando Norris fastest as F1 returns at Zandvoort

August 29, 2025
F1 returns from the summer break with the opening practice session for the Dutch GP
Formula 1

F1 2025 Dutch Grand Prix – FP1 Results

August 29, 2025

Follow Motorsport Week

Join our daily motorsport newsletter

* indicates required

Motorsport Week

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd

Other Links

  • About & Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Motorsport Monday

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Sign Up
  • Home
  • Formula 1
    • Latest News
    • 2025 F1 Calendar
    • 2025 F1 Championship Standings
  • Formula E
    • Latest News
    • 2025 FE Calendar
    • 2025 FE Championship Standings
  • MotoGP
    • Latest News
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • WRC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
    • 2025 WRC Standings
  • IndyCar
    • Latest News
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WEC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • Live Updates
  • Other
    • IMSA
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • Galleries
  • About/Contact
  • Privacy Policy

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd