Motorsport Week
  • Formula 1
    • 2026 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Formula 1
    • 2026 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Motorsport Week
Home Single Seater Formula 1

Sergio Perez claims lack of protection cost him Red Bull F1 seat

by Jack Oliver Smith
8 months ago
A A
Sergio Perez (MEX) Red Bull Racing in qualifying parc ferme. 07.12.2024. Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 24, Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, Qualifying Day

Sergio Perez claims he did not feel supported by Red Bull in what was his final season with the team

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Sergio Perez has claimed that Red Bull failed to offer him sufficient protection during his difficult 2024 Formula 1 campaign, which ultimately led to his exit from the team.

The Mexican was fired by the Milton Keynes-based squad upon the conclusion of last season, after a difficult year which saw him finish a lowly eighth in the Drivers’ Championship, as team-mate Max Verstappen took his fourth straight championship.

Since then, the veteran has kept out of the media spotlight, amid speculation that he is under consideration to take one of the two drives for Cadillac in its debut next season.

In his absence, Red Bull has seen two different team-mates for Verstappen, with Liam Lawson lasting just two races, followed by Yuki Tsunoda, who has been struggling to contend with the tricky RB21 challenger.

RelatedPosts

F1 is set for a key vote on a major issue

F1 manufacturers to be given vote on controversial engine rule change

4 minutes ago
Lewis Hamilton cut a smiling and relaxed figure on Wednesday afternoon in Bahrain

Lewis Hamilton reveals crucial element to new Ferrari – ‘my DNA is within it’

2 hours ago

Speaking on the Dede del Paddock podcast, Perez has alleged that a “reliable source” informed him that Red Bull has regretted the decision to remove him.

On the same podcast, Perez doubled down on the statement that Red Bull opted to remove him through a situation of its own making, and added that speculation was allowed to continue after signing a contract extension early in the season.

“In the end, that’s how the sport is. Decisions were made because there was too much pressure that they themselves ended up creating,” he said.

“I had a signed contract in Monaco, but from the next race onwards, everyone was talking about my future even though I already had a signed contract.”

Perez said his new contract, signed at Monaco, could have ended speculation
Perez said his new contract, signed at Monaco, could have ended speculation

Failure to ‘protect’ Perez contributed to eventual sacking

Perez continued that once the extension was signed, there was an opportunity to nip any further speculation in the bud.

But, with the rumour mill continuing to turn as results still proved to be hard for Perez to score, the decision eventually came to oust him in favour of Lawson once the season came to an end.

“It would have been easy for the team to protect me and say, ‘You know what? We have a driver signed for the next two years’,” he said.

“But that wasn’t the case. From then on, no one talked about anything other than Red Bull race after race.

“In the end, there was a lot of pressure on my side of the garage…it was putting a lot of pressure on the engineers, on everyone involved, and I think in the end that ended up costing us a lot.”

READ MORE – Helmut Marko provides update on Racing Bulls’ F1 future

Tags: F1RedBullSergio Perez
Share233Tweet146Share

Related Posts

F1 is set for a key vote on a major issue
Formula 1

F1 manufacturers to be given vote on controversial engine rule change

4 minutes ago
Lewis Hamilton cut a smiling and relaxed figure on Wednesday afternoon in Bahrain
Formula 1

Lewis Hamilton reveals crucial element to new Ferrari – ‘my DNA is within it’

2 hours ago
Charles Leclerc was quickest on the opening morning of the second week
Formula 1

RESULTS: Charles Leclerc fastest in morning on opening day of Bahrain Week 2

2 hours ago
Load More

Discussion about this post

Upcoming Races

#.EventDate
18Singapore GP09-11 October
19United States GP23-25 October
20Mexico City GP30 October-01 November
21São Paulo GP06-08 November
22Las Vegas GP19-21 November

Click here for the full 2025 F1 calendar

Drivers’  Standings

#.DriverPts
Lando Norris
Oscar Piastri
George Russell
Andrea Kimi Antonelli
Max Verstappen
Isack Hadjar
Charles Leclerc
Lewis Hamilton
Alex Albon
Carlos Sainz

Click here for full Drivers’ Standings

Latest Articles

F1 is set for a key vote on a major issue
Formula 1

F1 manufacturers to be given vote on controversial engine rule change

February 18, 2026
Lewis Hamilton cut a smiling and relaxed figure on Wednesday afternoon in Bahrain
Formula 1

Lewis Hamilton reveals crucial element to new Ferrari – ‘my DNA is within it’

February 18, 2026
Charles Leclerc was quickest on the opening morning of the second week
Formula 1

RESULTS: Charles Leclerc fastest in morning on opening day of Bahrain Week 2

February 18, 2026

Follow Motorsport Week

Join our daily motorsport newsletter

* indicates required

Motorsport Week

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd

Other Links

  • About & Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Motorsport Monday

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Sign Up
  • Home
  • Formula 1
    • Latest News
    • 2025 F1 Calendar
    • 2025 F1 Championship Standings
  • Formula E
    • Latest News
    • 2025 FE Calendar
    • 2025 FE Championship Standings
  • MotoGP
    • Latest News
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • WRC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
    • 2025 WRC Standings
  • IndyCar
    • Latest News
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WEC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • Live Updates
  • Other
    • IMSA
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • Galleries
  • About/Contact
  • Privacy Policy

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd