Aston Martin driver Fernando Alonso says there will be “consequences” for those who have spread false rumours about his future.
A vague social media post by a prominent Spanish TV presenter on Sunday evening in Mexico City led to widespread speculation on its content, including that it was intimating about Alonso’s future.
The most prominent rumour speculated that Alonso was in the running to take the place of Sergio Perez at Red Bull, a story which has been stringently dismissed by paddock sources, or that Aston Martin’s end-of-2023 form had him re-evaluating his commitment.
Speaking ahead of the Sao Paulo Grand Prix on Thursday during his written media session Alonso made it clear that he was unhappy with the speculation.
“I mean, nothing to say,” said Alonso. “Just rumours – the normal paddock rumours – from people that just try to make fun of it and gain some followers and this kind of thing, but I’m not into that game.
“I’m not enjoying [the rumours]. Because even in this room I appreciate that all of you are journalists and professional people that have been in Formula 1 for so many years and you gain your respect and this is how it should be.
“All the rumours are coming from people that are not in this room, they’re just here to make fun, and I think it’s not funny when they play with anything. I will make sure that there are consequences.”
Aston Martin has struggled for form in recent grands prix, with Alonso failing to score in Mexico City, having felt ill at ease aboard the AMR23 prior to sustaining floor damage.
Alonso also retired from the previous event, in Austin, and has slipped from third to fifth in the standings, but he emphasised 2023 has been a ‘super season’ for the outfit.
“Obviously we are not as competitive as we wanted, we all try to get to our best level which is obviously not the one we are showing now,” said Alonso, who has a 2024 Aston Martin contract.
“But we are analyzing some of the upgrades that we brought lately, here in Brazil we have a Sprint format so maybe it’s a more traditional weekend for us, not experimenting as much as the last two.
“Obviously we are not happy, Mike [Krack] is not happy, no-one is happy with the current form. But at the same time I said a few races ago that this team was 250 people two years ago, now we are in this transition to hopefully be a contender for the future – 800 people, new factory, seven podiums this year, 200 more points than last year – all these kind of things which are not the current form.
“We should not be happy but we cannot be too dramatic about the situation when this 2023 campaign has been a super season for us.”