Two-time Formula 1 World Champion Fernando Alonso says the level of visibility in single-seaters needs to be analysed following the death of Dilano van ’t Hoff.
The Dutch driver was killed following a crash in wet conditions at Spa-Francorchamps in the Formula Regional European Championship by Alpine on Saturday.
Alonso’s team-mate Lance Stroll called for immediate changes to the track, after Anthoine Hubert also lost his life at the circuit in 2019.
But Alonso says that the increasing speed of single-seater category cars has caused visibility in wet conditions to worsen.
“I don’t know, really, if it’s the track or it’s just the speed, you know, and the visibility,” he said.
“I think the biggest thing is the visibility. It’s not that we are not able to drive in wet conditions.
“When we see all these red flags, delays and the fans they get frustrated at home and things like that, this is the way single seaters now works, and the visibility is that poor that we cannot drive in certain circuits at a certain speed.
“So I don’t know if it’s a problem of Spa itself. I guess Monza, if you find a car in the middle of the straight, you will not see it.
“It’s just that poor visibility. And that’s something that we cannot afford it again what happened today. It has to be the last time that happens.”
Last year, Spa-Francorchamps unveiled renovations to the track that included modifications to the Eau Rouge/Raidillion complex.
When asked if he would willing to see the famous section of track dramatically changed or removed altogether, Alonso said: “Yes, of course.
“No one wants to see any accident that is, you know, problematic or dangerous. As I said, I think there are street circuits, you know, if you crash in Baku, you will be always on the track.
“It will put you back on track, but you are at 120 km/h and the visibility is okay. When you are at 300 km/h, you cannot see anything.”