Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko says Honda has a restrictive way of working, issuing a warning to rivals Aston Martin.
On Wednesday, it was confirmed that Honda would supply Power Units to Aston Martin in 2026, with the latter ending its long-standing relationship with Mercedes.
Honda previously powered Red Bull from 2019 to 2021 but opted to depart the sport as it aimed to achieve carbon neutrality.
Red Bull set up its own engine department with technical assistance from Honda, but will partner Ford in three years’ time.
Speaking to Motorsport Magazin, Marko explained that Red Bull is content with the decisions it has made in the wake of Honda’s departure.
“The departure [from Honda] was not involuntary, but we first had to react,” Marko said. “And then, when Honda decided to continue last year, there was no longer a common path that would have been satisfactory for both of us.
“There have been talks about a possible cooperation, but by then we couldn’t agree with Honda on who would do what.
“We took the brave and expensive decision to build our own engine after Honda said they were pulling out completely.
“This then created this situation with Ford as a partner, who doesn’t have this Formula 1 experience but can also contribute a lot in the battery sector.
“Right now, Red Bull Powertrains is doing very great. We’re on track. All the engines that have already been built are more or less at the level you’d expect.”
Having enjoyed a successful number of years with Honda, which culminated in a Drivers’ Championship in 2021, Red Bull has a deep understanding of the Japanese manufacturer’s style.
Marko revealed that Honda is reserved when it comes to sharing information about its engine, ahead of its tie-up with Aston Martin.
“Honda is very restrictive with their communications when it comes to the engine,” he said.
“The intellectual property and all that is exclusive to Honda and we don’t get any detailed information.”