George Russell insists he has no problem with Mercedes leaving its 2022 driver line-up decision until later in the season, as he “trusts” they are looking out for him.
The Williams driver is locked in a battle to replace Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes next season, but no public decision has been taken other than the team confirming Lewis Hamilton earlier this year.
Probed on whether they had heard anything during the summer shutdown, both Bottas and Russell insisted there was “no news”, but the Finn hinted that it didn’t necessarily mean a decision hadn’t already been taken.
“There is no news to share yet,” said Bottas on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix.”Maybe I know something, maybe I don’t. But like I said, there’s no news to share.”
Russell, who shared a press conference with Bottas, gave the same answer: “No news to share at this stage. We’re still obviously in discussions over the summer break, but there’s nothing to announce one way or another this weekend, and probably not next weekend either, to be honest.”
Asked if a long delay would begin to cause problems, Russell insisted it wouldn’t and he would have no problem with a winter announcement.
“I think it’s no problem,” he said. “Do things right rather than quickly, let’s say. We’re both fortunate that we’re both sort of looked after in ways by Mercedes, and we both trust them to look after our futures, one way or another.
“From my side, speaking for myself, there are no real problems. Whether it’s tomorrow, whether it’s after Abu Dhabi, I guess you have to trust the people who are looking out for you.”