Callum Ilott has confirmed that he will not be racing in Formula 1 next year following his title-competing campaign in Formula 2.
The Briton has been linked with a seat at Haas for 2021, who will run an all-new line-up next year after confirming it will part ways with Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean.
Mick Schumacher, who currently leads the F2 Championship, is expected to acquire one of the seats at the American team.
Nikita Mazepin, who also races in F2, has been tipped as the leading contender for the second drive.
Ilott was set to receive an outing in FP1 earlier this year at the Nurburgring with Haas, before poor weather conditions saw zero laps turned by all teams.
Taking to social media on Monday morning, Ilott announced that he would not be making the jump to F1 next year.
“It is time I announce that I have been told I will not be racing F1 in 2021,” Ilott said. “Obviously I have known this for a couple weeks now.
“I am disappointed, but I will just work harder and do what it takes to make sure it happens in 2022. Anyway, I have a championship I want to win.”
Ilott currently sits 14 points behind Schumacher in the F2 Championship ahead of the final round in Sakhir this weekend.
The 22-year-old took his fourth pole position of the season last Friday, which he converted to a Feature Race win the following day.
However, a tough Sprint Race followed, as he made contact with Carlin’s Jehan Daruvala which saw him take on damage and a 10-second time penalty.
Ilott will be present with Alfa Romeo at the post-season Young Drivers’ test, driving the C39 in Abu Dhabi.