Ferrari says it will determine the Formula 1 prospects for its junior drivers before they contest the remaining rounds of this year’s Formula 2 championship.
Ferrari currently has three proteges in with a chance of claiming the Formula 2 title, which will be decided across two rounds in Bahrain, on November 28/29 and December 5/6.
Mick Schumacher leads the standings, ahead of Callum Ilott, with Robert Shwartzman holding fifth position.
Schumacher had previously been linked to Alfa Romeo for next season but the squad has now confirmed an unchanged line-up of Kimi Raikkonen and Ferrari-affiliated Antonio Giovinazzi.
It is understood that Schumacher is primed to step up to Formula 1 for 2021 with Haas though the team’s other seat is likely to be taken by well-funded Russian racer Nikita Mazepin.
Such a move would leave Ilott – who was set to make his FP1 debut with Haas at the Nürburgring – and Shwartzman on the sidelines for 2021.
“I don’t think we will wait for the final race in Bahrain and for Abu Dhabi,” said Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto.
“I think it’s something we may decide within the next couple of weeks.
“There’s no place for all of them. I think they are all doing well in F2 at the moment. They’re all focused on the next race in Bahrain.
“They’re challenging for the championship which is very important for them.
“They will get an opportunity to run again in FP1 in Abu Dhabi and there are the young driver tests still in Abu Dhabi but we will make our own decision and the decision will be made on what they’ve done so far, how they’ve developed, their potential.
“Our objective isn’t to bring them into F1, it’s to bring them one day in the Scuderia Ferrari, in the red cars, and whatever the path will be to achieve it that’s less important.
“There will be eventually one of them who will have a seat in F1 next year, the other may have other opportunities but that’s down to Haas to organise it and to give them an opportunity.”