Acting Williams Team Principal Simon Roberts says “nothing has changed” regarding its 2021 Formula 1 driver line-up but refused to confirm that George Russell and Nicholas Latifi will remain as its pairing.
Williams confirmed in July that Russell, who joined in 2019, and rookie Latifi had been retained for the 2021 campaign.
Williams changed ownership in August when the eponymous family sold to US-based firm Dorilton Capital.
It is understood that Russell’s position within Williams is under threat amid interest from free agent Sergio Perez, who would bring funding, but he stressed on Thursday that he has no concerns over his future.
But when repeatedly pressed on Friday Roberts refused to clarify that Russell and Latifi will remain as the drivers next season.
“There’s lots of speculation, there’s lots of good drivers around looking for seats,” said Roberts. “Dorilton bought the team and nothing’s changed. So I can’t say anymore than that.
“I’m not going to say anything about either of our drivers, they are both doing a great job and there’s so much speculation around, I don’t want to inadvertently fuel it. Someone will take some nuance from whatever we say. We’re happy, let’s watch the rest of the market.
When pressed further he said: “I’m just not going to talk about it. Dorilton bought the team, nothing changed with regard to the drivers.
“There’s just so much speculation, rumours, it’s crazy. It’s silly season, after all. We’re not saying any more than that.
“We just don’t want to say anything one way or another. We’re here focusing on our race weekend. We haven’t got any news.
“The decision will be made by the management committee and the board of Williams Formula 1, it’s a very normal situation but we have nothing to say on that matter right now.”