Gabriel Aubry has tested positive for COVID-19 following a second test after the Frenchman was suspected positive on Thursday. Three members from Algarve Pro Racing have also tested positive, forcing the team to withdraw from this weekend’s Total Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.
Aubry, along with members from the Algarve Pro squad had been self-isolating since a suspected positive test for Aubry was recorded on Thursday.
A second test was undertaken, after which three members from Aubry’s JOTA Sport squad, 16 member from Algarve Pro Racing, three Goodyear technicians and a Rebellion mechanic were quarantined until test results were known.
In addition to a positive test result for Aubry, three team members were confirmed as positive, including two team members and a driver, whose identity is currently unknown.
As a result, the team has been placed in quarantine and will not be competing in this weekend’s six-hour enduro. The WEC has said none of the positive cases have developed symptoms.
All of the other tests that were undertaken have been confirmed as negative, but the series has decided that none of the persons tested will have access to the paddock and will go into self-isolation ahead of further testing.
“Having been informed someone I had recently seen had contracted COVID 19 I immediately decided to undergo a test at my place in France,” said Aubry. Given that I’ve never had any symptoms, I then travelled back to Spa Francorchamps. Shortly after arriving I was informed the test had come back positive.
“The WEC, JOTA and Algarve Pro were made aware immediately and I followed their safety procedures including a full lockdown in my hotel room. A second test has been carried out in Spa giving a similar positive result.
“I am deeply sad and sorry for my fellow team mates to not be able to fight alongside them this weekend. I wish them all the best for this race, and in the meanwhile I will continue to follow the WEC procedure and hopefully I’ll be back for the next round of the ELMS.”