Formula 2 driver Jack Aitken has announced that he has parted ways with the Renault Formula 1 team.
Aitken had been a long-time member of Renault’s junior programme and held the role of test and development driver for the French manufacturer.
On Monday the Anglo-Korean racer released a statement confirming the split and said it would enable him to “take the next step” in his motorsport career as he seeks an F1 drive in the near future.
“I would like to express my thanks to Renault and the Academy for helping me reach a position where I can now take a very exciting next step in my career which will keep me on course to fulfil my ambition of reaching the very top of motorsport,” he said.
“I wish the Renault F1 Team and its drivers every success for the future.
“I am not yet in a position to announce my plans for the forthcoming season but stay tuned to my social media channels for all the latest news which should be made public very soon.”
Aitken joined the Renault programme in 2016 following his Formula Renault Eurocup title win the previous year. He then joined GP3 with Arden where he finished fifth in his debut season and followed that up with a runner-up position with ART Grand Prix.
His maiden Formula 2 season saw him take 11th overall. He was partnered with championship winner George Russell.
Aitken then switched to Campos Racing for the 2019 season and scored three wins and four podium finishes to take fifth.
It’s not clear if Aitken will continue in F2 this year as neither he nor Campos have confirmed their plans.
Aitken participated in three official days of in-season Formula 1 testing with Renault in Bahrain and Spain, along with a tyre test in Japan.