The Chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit, Zayed Rashid Alzayani, has released a statement in regards to the race which was supposed to take place earlier this year.
The event was however cancelled after political unrest broke out in the country, deeming it disrespectful and unsafe to visit.
A decision on whether the race will be rescheduled for later in the year is expected this coming Monday, with the FIA setting a deadline of May 1st, despite Bernie Ecclestone calling for an extension.
“We gratefully acknowledge the understanding of Formula One Management and the FIA in what have been difficult times,” said Alzayani.
“We also thank the continued support of the international motorsport community and Formula one fans around the world. Clearly our national priority is to find a resolution to the difficulties that the kingdom of Bahrain has experienced. The national situation has moved on in a positive manner, the situation is evolving all the time; our day-to-day life is gradually improving under the current State of National Safety.”
The Chairman says he hopes to welcome F1 back in the ‘very near future’ but stopped short of committing to a date in 2011.
“Bahrain’s Grand Prix is a time of celebration and hosting the race is a source of great pride for Bahrain and Bahrainis. It is a showcase to the world and we look forward to welcoming the teams and drivers and everyone involved in Formula One back to Bahrain in the very near future.”
Ecclestone added: “Bahrain’s commitment to Formula One has been clear from the very outset. While obviously the kingdom has had to put its national affairs first I have never been in any doubts that restoring the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix has been of paramount importance. In eight years with my relationship with Bahrain I have always been confident that they will produce something special”