Max Verstappen revealed that a string of discussions with Formula 1 and the FIA were crucial to helping him decide to commit to remaining in the sport.
The Dutchman and Red Bull sensationally revealed on Thursday morning that he will remain with the Milton Keynes-based squad until the end of 2030.
Verstappen’s future has been the subject of constant speculation across the summer, heightened by multiple reports of discussions with McLaren,.
The four-time World Champion has been critical of the sport’s new regulations cycle, too, which put a slant on a potential change of direction, potentially even out of F1 as a whole, having fulfilled an ambition of partaking in the 24 of Hours of Nurburgring earlier in the Spring.
But speaking to media, including Motorsport Week, at Zandvoort, ahead of this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix, Verstappen also alluded to multiple discussions with F1 and the FIA being integral to his decision to stay.
“It’s what I said a bit before, where I accepted kind of the situation that we’re in. I’m personally, of course, I’m not happy with it [the new regulations]. But at the same time, with the discussions that I’ve had with F1 and FIA, already trying to make little improvements for next year or the year after, plus the year that I signed to, leaving the door open for a potential V8 return – I’m willing to accept that at the moment.
“It’s, let’s say, not fantastic. But I still love racing. I mean, it’s still a Formula 1 car. And some tracks are better than others. But, yeah, for sure we know that in some areas I think we can improve.
“So, hopefully, over the years it will get a little bit better.”

Max Verstappen happy to remain in ‘the pinnacle’
Verstappen was particularly vocal about his dislike of the change in regulations cycle during pre-season and in the early stages of the campaign.
Sat alongside Red Bull Team Principal Laurent Mekies, Verstappen admitted: “I have to say, after the first few races, I said to Laurent, ‘don’t come to me with any kind of questions about the future! Because I didn’t even know if I want to stay’.”
F1’s CEO Stefano Domenicali has been open about his discussions with Verstappen in the intervening time, saying he was happy for drivers to be honest about their feelings on the new rulset.
When asked by Motorsport Week when these conversations took place and what convinced him, Verstappen said: “It’s difficult to name one race. Even between races, a few things have been changing also on the allowance of the engine and the battery. But just over time.
“Plus, even if I’m not entirely happy with how the packages are still of racing. This is still the pinnacle of motorsport. So, I still want to be here.”
READ MORE – Lando Norris reflects on McLaren team orders that aided F1 success









Discussion about this post