Motorsport Week
  • Formula 1
    • 2025 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Formula 1
    • 2025 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Motorsport Week
Home Single Seater Formula 1

Fernando Alonso backs ‘incredible’ Gabriel Bortoleto to succeed in F1

by Dan Lawrence
11 months ago
A A
Gabriel Bortoleto, backed by Fernando Alonso's management company, is linked to an F1 seat at Sauber

Gabriel Bortoleto, backed by Fernando Alonso's management company, is linked to an F1 seat at Sauber

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Fernando Alonso has backed his protégé Gabriel Bortoleto to successfully make the jump from Formula 2 to Formula 1.

Bortoleto is on the driving roster of Alonso’s A14 Management and the 19-year-old is impressing on his way through the single-seater pyramid.

The Brazilian won the FIA Formula 3 World Championship in his rookie season last year and leads the F2 Drivers’ standings by 34.5 points with two rounds to go in 2024.

That prowess has seen Bortoleto linked with a seat at Sauber in 2025 and Alonso heaped heavy praise upon the Brazilian.

RelatedPosts

Flavio Briatore has admitted to a mistake with Franco Colapinto

Flavio Briatore admits to ‘mistake’ with Franco Colapinto’s Alpine promotion

31 minutes ago
Charles Leclerc ended FP2 almost a second adrift of Lando Norris’s pace-setting McLaren

Charles Leclerc reveals alarming Ferrari deficit at F1 Dutch GP

12 hours ago

“He’s an incredible talent and a very humble person as well, which I think that’s the biggest thing that we need to work on,” Alonso told the media during the Thursday press conference at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

“He’s a hard worker, apart from his talent, and I think that’s why in Formula 3 and Formula 2 had this much progress.

“I think also he’s someone that is taking things very seriously as well, which at that age is never a guarantee.

“As we touched before on the budgets and things like that, he won the championship as a rookie in Formula 3, and he’s fighting for the championship as a rookie in Formula 2, but without the test of many other rookies.

“So he’s probably the only ‘rookie, rookie’ on the championship.

“So this was an amazing achievement so far. And let’s see what the future brings. But, you know, it’s a matter of time that he gets to F1.”

Fernando Alonso has hailed Gabriel Bortoleto as an 'incredible talent'
Fernando Alonso has hailed Gabriel Bortoleto as an ‘incredible talent’

Several drivers competing for vacant Sauber F1 seat

Bortoleto is just one of many drivers linked with the vacant seat at Sauber in 2025.

A McLaren Development Driver, the F2 title-favourite has been granted permission to speak with Sauber and could be loaned to the Hinwil-based squad.

The same could be said of Franco Colapinto, Williams’ prospect who has flourished since he took Logan Sargeant’s F1 seat.

James Vowles has admitted he’d be happy to secure the Argentine a drive elsewhere to continue his F1 journey, with Sauber the likely suitor.

Both of these promising young drivers will have to contend with the possibility that Sauber will retain Valtteri Bottas.

Bottas signed a multi-year deal with Sauber which commenced in 2022, but that deal is coming to an end, with the Finn keen to extend his stay in F1.

With the clock ticking, Sauber will need to make a decision soon to finalise its driver lineup, with Nico Hulkenberg awaiting his future team-mate.

Should Bortoleto miss out on the Sauber drive, his options in F1 could prove limited, with McLaren’s Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri reaping the rewards of long-term contracts.

READ MORE: McLaren willing to reach ‘solution’ with Sauber/Audi F1 for Gabriel Bortoleto

Tags: AlonsoBortoletoF1Sauber
Share208Tweet130Share

Related Posts

Flavio Briatore has admitted to a mistake with Franco Colapinto
Formula 1

Flavio Briatore admits to ‘mistake’ with Franco Colapinto’s Alpine promotion

31 minutes ago
Charles Leclerc ended FP2 almost a second adrift of Lando Norris’s pace-setting McLaren
Formula 1

Charles Leclerc reveals alarming Ferrari deficit at F1 Dutch GP

12 hours ago
Oscar Piastri capped a chaotic FP2 with the third fastest time
Formula 1

Oscar Piastri escapes penalty for ’scary’ pit lane incident with George Russell at F1 Dutch GP

14 hours ago
Load More

Discussion about this post

Upcoming Races

#EventDate
15Dutch GP29-31 August
16Italian GP05-07 September
17Azerbaijan GP19-21 September
18Singapore GP03-05 October
19United States GP17-19 October

Click here for the full 2025 F1 calendar

Drivers’  Standings

#DriverPts
Oscar Piastri284
Lando Norris275
Max Verstappen187
George Russell172
Charles Leclerc151
Lewis Hamilton109
Andrea Kimi Antonelli64
Alexander Albon54
Nico Hulkenberg37
Esteban Ocon27

Click here for full Drivers’ Standings

Latest Articles

Flavio Briatore has admitted to a mistake with Franco Colapinto
Formula 1

Flavio Briatore admits to ‘mistake’ with Franco Colapinto’s Alpine promotion

August 30, 2025
Charles Leclerc ended FP2 almost a second adrift of Lando Norris’s pace-setting McLaren
Formula 1

Charles Leclerc reveals alarming Ferrari deficit at F1 Dutch GP

August 29, 2025
Oscar Piastri capped a chaotic FP2 with the third fastest time
Formula 1

Oscar Piastri escapes penalty for ’scary’ pit lane incident with George Russell at F1 Dutch GP

August 29, 2025

Follow Motorsport Week

Join our daily motorsport newsletter

* indicates required

Motorsport Week

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd

Other Links

  • About & Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Motorsport Monday

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Sign Up
  • Home
  • Formula 1
    • Latest News
    • 2025 F1 Calendar
    • 2025 F1 Championship Standings
  • Formula E
    • Latest News
    • 2025 FE Calendar
    • 2025 FE Championship Standings
  • MotoGP
    • Latest News
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • WRC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
    • 2025 WRC Standings
  • IndyCar
    • Latest News
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WEC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • Live Updates
  • Other
    • IMSA
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • Galleries
  • About/Contact
  • Privacy Policy

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd