Motorsport Week
  • Formula 1
    • 2026 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
  • Formula 1
    • 2026 Formula 1 Calendar
    • 2025 Formula 1 Standings
  • Formula E
    • 2025 Formula E Calendar
    • 2025 Formula E Standings
  • IndyCar
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WRC
    • 2025 WRC Standings
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
  • MotoGP
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
  • WEC
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • IMSA
    • 2025 IMSA Calendar
  • World SBK
  • More
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
    • Technical Insight
    • Galleries
    • About/Contact
    • Privacy Policy
No Result
View All Result
Motorsport Week
Home Single Seater Formula 1

FIA presidential candidate handed emergency hearing by Paris court

by Jack Oliver Smith
4 months ago
A A
Laura Villars has secured a hearing with the FIA by a Paris judge

Laura Villars has secured a hearing with the FIA by a Paris judge

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

FIA presidential candidate Laura Villars has been handed an emergency hearing with the sport’s governing body by a Paris judge amid her concerns about transparency and democracy.

The Swiss-Italian sports car driver and entrepreneur announced her intention to stand against incumbent Mohammed Ben Sulayem on September 18.

In doing so, Villars became the first woman to ever stand for the role, and the second of three individuals who announced their candidacy, joining former FIA steward Tim Mayer and motorsport journalist Virginie Philippot.

Mayer, who ran under the ‘FIA Forward’ ticket, withdrew earlier this month after failing to secure the sufficient backing required under the rules, which he claimed were “an illusion of democracy.”

RelatedPosts

Adrian Newey faces a hard task in 2026

‘Inspiring’ Adrian Newey touted to pull Aston Martin back up in 2026

8 minutes ago
Franco Colapinto is looking ahead to starting an F1 season for the first time

How key F1 change ‘really helped’ Franco Colapinto ahead of 2026

3 hours ago

A statement released by Villars’ campaign claims that securing this hearing recognises “both the urgency and admissibility of the case, marks an important first step in a broader effort to safeguard transparency, ethics, and democratic pluralism within the FIA.”

“I have twice tried to open a constructive dialogue with the FIA on essential matters such as internal democracy and the transparency of electoral rules,” Villars said.

“The responses received were not up to the challenge. I am not acting against the FIA. I am acting to protect it. Democracy is not a threat to the FIA; it is its strength.”

Villars added “I will go to this mediation hearing with the same attitude I have maintained from the beginning — calm, openness, and determination.

“I hope it will finally lead to a sincere dialogue in the service of a FIA that is more modern, fair, and connected to its members.”

Villars’ lawyer, Me Robin Binsard, Attorney at the Paris Bar, said: “We have obtained authorization for an hour-to-hour emergency summons, which demonstrates that the Court is taking seriously the serious democratic failings within the FIA, as well as several violations of its Statutes and Regulations that we have denounced.”

F1's cost cap drama rumbles on with speculation that another team other has breached the regulation
The FIA has seen three people announce their intention to stand against incument Mohammed Ben Sulayem

FIA defends its election process: ‘These requirements are not new’

The gripe that both Ms Villars and Mayer cited in their respective communications are in relation to how candidates must submit a ‘Presidential List’, in which it must include a Vice President for Sport every global region.

This is something that Mayer failed to secure, and therefore formed the crux of his necessity to drop out of the race, with many of the relevant individuals already backing Ben Sulayem’s continuation in the role.

In response to Villars’ challenge, the FIA defended its election processes, saying: “The FIA Presidential election is a structured and democratic process, to ensure fairness and integrity at every stage.

“The requirements related to the regional representation of the Vice-Presidents for Sport, and to select them from the World Motor Sport Council in order to draw up a Presidential List, are not new.

“These criteria applied to previous elections. As to be expected, preparing a candidature for a Presidential List or the World Councils requires certain steps to be taken.

“Prospective candidates have had since the publication of the detailed information on 13 June to prepare their applications.”

READ MORE – Felipe Massa’s 2008 F1 title court challenge begins in London

Tags: F1FIA
Share252Tweet158Share

Related Posts

Adrian Newey faces a hard task in 2026
Formula 1

‘Inspiring’ Adrian Newey touted to pull Aston Martin back up in 2026

8 minutes ago
Franco Colapinto is looking ahead to starting an F1 season for the first time
Formula 1

How key F1 change ‘really helped’ Franco Colapinto ahead of 2026

3 hours ago
Yuki Tsunoda escapes his burning Red Bull. Image via @Leonczik
Formula 1

Video: Yuki Tsunoda forced to abandon Red Bull in dramatic fire

5 hours ago
Load More

Discussion about this post

Upcoming Races

#.EventDate
18Singapore GP09-11 October
19United States GP23-25 October
20Mexico City GP30 October-01 November
21São Paulo GP06-08 November
22Las Vegas GP19-21 November

Click here for the full 2025 F1 calendar

Drivers’  Standings

#.DriverPts
Lando Norris
Oscar Piastri
George Russell
Andrea Kimi Antonelli
Max Verstappen
Isack Hadjar
Charles Leclerc
Lewis Hamilton
Alex Albon
Carlos Sainz

Click here for full Drivers’ Standings

Latest Articles

Adrian Newey faces a hard task in 2026
Formula 1

‘Inspiring’ Adrian Newey touted to pull Aston Martin back up in 2026

February 22, 2026
Franco Colapinto is looking ahead to starting an F1 season for the first time
Formula 1

How key F1 change ‘really helped’ Franco Colapinto ahead of 2026

February 22, 2026
Yuki Tsunoda escapes his burning Red Bull. Image via @Leonczik
Formula 1

Video: Yuki Tsunoda forced to abandon Red Bull in dramatic fire

February 22, 2026

Follow Motorsport Week

Join our daily motorsport newsletter

* indicates required

Motorsport Week

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd

Other Links

  • About & Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Motorsport Monday

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Sign Up
  • Home
  • Formula 1
    • Latest News
    • 2025 F1 Calendar
    • 2025 F1 Championship Standings
  • Formula E
    • Latest News
    • 2025 FE Calendar
    • 2025 FE Championship Standings
  • MotoGP
    • Latest News
    • 2025 MotoGP Calendar
    • 2025 MotoGP Standings
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • WRC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WRC Calendar
    • 2025 WRC Standings
  • IndyCar
    • Latest News
    • 2025 IndyCar Calendar
    • 2025 IndyCar Standings
  • WEC
    • Latest News
    • 2025 WEC Calendar
  • Live Updates
  • Other
    • IMSA
    • Formula 2
    • Formula 3
    • F1 Academy
    • Moto2
    • Moto3
    • World Superbikes
  • Galleries
  • About/Contact
  • Privacy Policy

© 2024 Motorsport Media Services Ltd