Williams CEO Jost Capito says Nyck de Vries would be deserving of a Formula 1 seat, but outlined a lack of experience as a detracting factor when determining its 2022 line-up.
Williams announced on Wednesday that it will field current Red Bull reserve Alexander Albon alongside incumbent Nicholas Latifi in 2022.
Albon previously raced in Formula 1 across 2019/20, with Toro Rosso and Red Bull respectively, scoring two podium finishes.
De Vries, who recently clinched the Formula E title, had been rumoured as a potential candidate at Williams, aided by his connection to power unit supplier Mercedes.
The Dutchman races for Mercedes in Formula E and has spent 2021 as its test and reserve driver.
“I think he [Toto Wolff] is happy if he can have him in Formula E for another season,” said Capito.
“On the other hand I think Nyck would deserve a seat in Formula 1, there is no doubt, just for us when we have to balance between youth and experience then Alex has an advantage over Nyck.
“It doesn’t mean that Nyck would have been worse in the seat next year, it doesn’t mean that at all, and I think Toto at the end understands, and we understand we are not a B-team, we are not a satellite team, we have to take the decisions that are right for us and he fully respects that.”
Capito outlined that, along with his previous experience, Albon’s 2018 stint as Latifi’s team-mate in Formula 2 aided his cause.
“We finally got what is a combination of youth and F1 experience and also having a really good fit in the team, that Alex and Nicholas have been teammates in Formula 2, so they have a very good relationship,” he said.
“Where Williams is right now, we have to make sure that we have a good relationship and communication between both sides of the garage.
“As they worked with each other in the past, they know each other, this was also something that was taken into consideration.”