The World Rally Championship has announced the outright cancellation of Rally Finland, citing “too many ongoing factors regarding health and safety risks” if it were to push ahead.
Rally Finland had been set to take place August 6-9, but won’t now take place then or later in the year.
“Together with the unknown progress of Covid-19, there are other major uncertainties affecting this decision.
“For example, the lack of information on whether current restrictions imposed by the state on public events will continue after July, and how foreign participants, teams and spectators will be able to safely travel to Finland,” a statement from the organisers read.
The option of postponing the rally until later in the year was explored but wasn’t deemed viable.
Promoter Jani Backman said the decision is the responsible thing to do given the circumstances.
“By cancelling the event this year, we want to show responsibility towards each and every one of the stakeholders as well as the whole society. Health and well-being are always a priority,” he said.
“We will confidently move our focus into 2021, when we will finally be able to organise the well-deserved 70th anniversary celebrations in an amazing atmosphere and in great spirits together with the spectators, competitors as well as our long-term and new partners.”
The revised WRC season is now set to start in New Zealand on September 3, however there is speculation this event could also be cancelled, which would mean a further delay to Rally Turkey at the end of the same month.