McLaren/Alonso to use Chevrolet power for 2019 Indy 500 bid
McLaren Racing has confirmed it will use Chevrolet engines for its 2019 Indianapolis 500 entry with Fernando Alonso.
Alonso and McLaren used Honda power for its 2017 tilt at the event but its Formula 1 partnership with the Japanese marque concluded at the end of that year.
Questions had been raised as to which engine Alonso would run, should he return to the American single-seater series given his fractious relationship with Honda from his time in Formula 1, and current ties with Japanese rivals Toyota in the World Endurance Championship.
On Tuesday it was confirmed that McLaren will link up with Chevrolet for 2019.
“McLaren and Chevrolet have a shared pedigree in North American motorsport and the opportunity to reunite the two brands for this special event was just too good to pass up,” said McLaren boss Zak Brown.
“Like McLaren, Chevrolet has racing in its heart. The company’s reputation in IndyCar and at this special race is first-class and they will be a powerful partner.”
Alonso sampled Chevrolet machinery when he tested Jimmie Johnson’s NASCAR last Monday in Bahrain, while he will drive for its sister company, Cadillac, at next month’s Daytona 24 Hours.
“It will be a privilege to wear the Bowtie Brand at the 2019 Indy 500,” said Alonso.
“Having Chevrolet power behind me means we’re putting ourselves in the best possible position to compete at the front.
“I had a bit of a taste of Chevy power last week in Jimmie’s NASCAR and I liked it! The opportunity to contest any Indy 500 is an honour, so I’m proud to have Chevrolet as part of the team.”
McLaren has already recruited ex-Force India chief Bob Fernley to spearhead its IndyCar project.
Further details will be announced in due course.