FP1: Raikkonen leads Ferrari 1-2 in Bahrain practice
Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen was the quickest man on the opening practice day for the Bahrain Grand Prix, topping the timing screens ahead of team-mate Sebastian Vettel.
Key Points from FP1:
- The hot afternoon track temperature, which peaked at 54ºC, won't give an accurate picture for qualifying which is run at dusk.
- Raikkonen's 1:37.827 was over two-tenths quicker than Vettel could manage in the SF15-T.
- Nico Rosberg finished just 15th with team-mate Lewis Hamilton behind in 16th. The pair were well over a second slower.
- Mercedes chose to focus on long runs in an attempt to better undestand their tyre wear in the hot climate of Bahrain.
- Early trouble for McLaren-Honda as Jenson Button fails to set a timed lap after his engine shutdown as he approached T1, resulting in a spin which ended his session.
- Fernando Alonos enjoyed a better session though, finishing seventh quickest, just seven-tenths down.
|04||C. Sainz||Toro Rosso||1:38.447||0.620||14|
|05||D. Ricciardo||Red Bull||1:38.455||0.628||17|
|06||M. Verstappen||Toro Rosso||1:38.504||0.677||22|
|09||D. Kvyat||Red Bull||1:38.661||0.834||17|
|11||S. Perez||Force India||1:38.793||0.966||15|
|13||N. Hulkenberg||Force India||1:39.187||1.360||20|
|20||J. Button||McLaren||No time||2|